If you are looking for ways to save on your energy bill, a lighting retrofit might be the answer. A lighting retrofit is an upgrade to your existing light fixtures and lamps with ones that are more efficient. This process results in better energy efficiency which usually offsets the cost.
Benefits of a Lighting Upgrade
There are many reasons why you might choose to upgrade your lighting. The following benefits can be enjoyed once the project is complete:
- Reduce energy costs
- Enhance home or commercial building value
- Take advantage of incentives from your utility provider
- Interest in ‘going green’
- Improve light quality throughout the building
With enhanced, updated lighting, customers and employees will benefit from improved safety on site.
How Does it Reduce Costs?
Lighting is one of the expenses that your business cannot do without, yet it can account for up to 25% of your energy bill. It is easy to determine how much potential savings you might receive. To find out your current energy consumption, multiply your input watts (kW) by the hours operated per year. The only way to reduce this number is by cutting one of the two—either the input watts or the hours your lighting system is used.
The amount of savings you will generate depends on the configuration of your current lighting system and what you replace it with. Often, energy costs can be cut by 50% or more. To determine exactly how much your facility will save with a lighting retrofit, multiply the input watts of all of your fixtures by the time they are used annually. Multiply that figure by your utility costs (kWh rate). Compare the number to how much you are spending on lighting.
To find out how long it will take to recoup your expenses for a retrofit, take the net installation cost and divide it by the annual energy savings. Many lighting upgrades come with rebates and tax incentives which can further lower your outlay.
Lighting Retrofits Options
A lighting retrofit can be as simple as a bulb replacement or as complex as a complete lighting system upgrade. The following are the most common upgrades:
- Replace old bulbs with CFL or LED lights. By making the switch, energy consumption can drop by 75% to 90%. Plus, they last longer.
- Switch to linear fluorescent fixtures. Replace HID light fixtures with new ones that last longer and turn on and off instantly.
- Upgrade switches with occupancy sensors. An occupancy sensor will detect the presence of a person in the room to automatically control the lights. This move will reduce energy consumption by 30% to 90%.
- Install electronic fluorescent ballasts. The switch from magnetic to electronic fluorescent ballasts can save 40% or more in energy costs and is required by the 2005 Energy Policy Act.
Cost savings is a major benefit of upgrading to new lighting options, but new lighting will also give better illumination, improve safety, and require less maintenance. Contact us today to find out how a lighting retrofit can benefit your facility.
Your Trusted Partner
BLUESKY provides comprehensive electrical and HVAC service for industrial, commercial, and residential clients. Our electricians and HVAC technicians are extensively trained, highly skilled, and totally dedicated to ensuring your business or home runs as consistently and as smoothly as possible.
Need to schedule an electrical and HVAC service or installation, or looking to learn more about what our services can do for your Pacific Northwest business? Contact BLUESKY Electrical | HVAC Contracting and Design online!